1 Day Gorilla Trek Rwanda Safari
The 1 Day Gorilla Trek Rwanda Safari is a short safari excursion to the Volcanoes national park in Rwanda. This tour starts and ends in Kigali the capital of Rwanda. You will leave Kigali very early in the morning, heading towards the Volcanoes National Park which is a 2-5 hours journey driving northwest of the country.
On this 1 Day Gorilla Trek Rwanda Safari, you will have a unique opportunity to visit the critically endangered mountain gorillas in their natural habitat despite having a short time in Rwanda. Expect to meet one of the 10 habituated gorilla groups in Rwanda and get the most adventure on this 1 Day Gorilla trek Rwanda Safari.
1 Day Gorilla Tour Rwanda - Safari Itinerary
Very early in the morning, you will be picked from your Hotel or Lodge (with your packed breakfast and lunch). You will leave at 4:30 am to start on your 2 hours (116km) journey to the Volcanoes National park in Musanze province, Northwest of Rwanda.
On arrival at the park headquarters, you will be briefed by park officers about the essentials of gorilla trekking and then be assigned to a specific gorilla group to track for the day. You will then be led into the forest by a ranger guide to begin the search for the primates.
The Gorilla trek in Volcanoes National park usually takes between 30 mins to 8 hours to meet the gorillas. This largely depends on the movements of these primates. You will be given a full hour (45-60 minutes) to spend with the gorillas while enjoying photographic moments with them (BUT WITH NO FLASH). After the 1hr which seems to be like minutes, you will be led by the guide out of the forest and then transfer back to Kigali for your flight back.
End of the Tour
About Rwanda Gorillas: Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda are located in the Virunga Conservation area which is shared by the Volcanoes national park, Mgahinga gorilla national park and the Virunga national park of DR Congo. Other primates that can be found in this conservation area include Golden Monkeys, L’Hoest Monkey, Colobus, Baboons and many more. But the mountain gorilla stand-out to be the top tourist attraction here.
These gorillas live in groups led by giant silverbacks. These groups are non-territorial; the Silverback generally defends his group rather than his territory.” According to Wikipedia, “The mountain gorilla is highly social and lives in relatively stable, cohesive groups held together by long-term bonds between adult males and females. Relationships among females are relatively weak. Mountain Gorilla life span is 40-50 years.
This Gorilla Tour in Rwanda will require you to have the best recommended equipment for a gorilla trekking safari. These among others include;
- Drinking-Water: Gorilla trekking can be very tiresome and you need to refill your tank as the trek goes on. It is advisable to park a few water filtration tablets before you come for the trek.
- Hiking Boots: You will need good waterproof comfortable shoes. Some times it rains during the trek, so skid proof shoes can come in handy.
- Carry a Rain Jacket/Poncho: You are advised to carry a rain jacket because if rains very often in Volcanoes National park
- Energy Giving Snacks: You can carry light snacks that will give you some energy during the walk in the forest
- Long-Sleeved Trouser and Shirts The forest in Volcanoes NP is covered with thick undergrowth, therefore light trousers and long-sleeved shirts are advised.
- Wear Socks: You will have to tuck in the trousers into the socks to avoid insects crawling inside.
- Sturdy gardening Gloves: You will need Gardening gloves because you will be grabbing tree branches, leaves, name it, and some can be thorny.
- Don’t Forget Your Camera: Carry a good camera to capture this lifetime experience (no flash)
- Airport Transfers
- Bottled Water
- Gorilla Trekking Permit
- Bottled Water
- Experienced English speaking Driver
- 4X4 Safari car for Transportation
- Tourist Visas
- Tips for Driver and Guides
- Air tickets
- Drinks from the Accommodation
- Anything not discussed during the initial meeting