The 1 Day Akagera National Park Tour is a classic Rwanda wildlife safari trip that will leave you amazed with the beauty of Rwanda. Visit Akagera National Park and experience the beautiful Savannah and lash green forested areas giving you varied sights of Rwanda. In the one day Akagera trip expect to see the big 5.
Akagera National Park
Akagera national park is situated in the Eastern part of Rwanda bordering Tanzania and named after the Akagera River that flows along its eastern boundary and feeds into a labyrinth of lakes of which the largest is Lake Ihema.
African parks a non profit organisation dedicated to nature conservation is currently managing this park and has solved lots of conflict between people and the park by fencing off part of the park and also introduced community tours and encouraged visitors to visit the communities and benefit accordingly.
The drive takes 2 hours and 30 minutes to reach the for the game of about 5 to 6 hours before you depart back to Kigali. You will enjoy the beauty of this Savannah park with Elephants, Zebras, Giraffes, Buffaloes, Lions, leopard and Rhinos were recently introduced into the park, making Akagera national park officially a big 5 park like it was many years ago. It is also home to numerous bird species in the several habitats which include woodland, swamps, lakes and Savannah.
1 Day Akagera National Park Tour Overview
On this 1 Day Akagera national park tour, we shall set off from Kigali in the morning at about 5:00 am to the Eastern province of Kayonza, where Akagera park is located. The journey is about 2 hours from Kigali city. This day trip to Akagera National Park will reward you with a classical feel of a true African safari in Rwanda. Akagera national park is majorly a Savannah park with Elephants, Zebras, Giraffes, Buffaloes, and recently introduced Lions. We shall take a game drive in search of these mammals. This day trip to Akagera will start from your collection point (at the airport or your residence within Kigali. Our driver-guide will pick you up for the 106 km journey eastwards to reach the Akagera National park in Kayonza district.
Akagera national park shares borders with Tanzania to the east currently managed by African parks, an institution which has done a great job with the conservation of the park. Despite past conflicts between people and the park, African parks has taken initiative to solve this by fencing off part of the park and also the introduction of Akagera community tours has encouraged more visitors to visit these local communities and benefit accordingly. Akagera national park is home to several mammal species you can see on this day trip including Lions, Elephants, Giraffes, Hippos, Kobs, Zebras, Bushbucks, Waterbucks and most recently Black Rhinos that have been introduced from Czech Republic. There are also numerous bird species in the several habitats which include woodland, swamps, lakes and Savannah to see on this tour.
End of the Tour
What to Carry
This 1 Day Akagera National Park Tour will require you to have the best recommended equipment for a game drive safari. Make sure that you carry the following;
- A Sun Hat: This is very essential to protect you from direct sunshine while on a game drive.
- A Pair of binoculars: Game drives and birding in Akagera National park is more enjoyable when you have your own binculars to be able to view the animals from a distance
- Don’t Forget Your Camera: Carry a good camera to capture this lifetime experience too
What’s Included in The Tour
- Akagera National Park entry fees
- All activities on the itinerary
- A professional English speaking driver/guide
- Transportation to and within Akagera National game park
- All Taxes/VAT
- Roundtrip airport transfer
- Drinking water(On all days)
Excluded in This Tour
- International flights (From/to home)
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Tips (Tipping guideline; at least US$10.00 pp per day)
- Personal items(Souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.)
- Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees